Welcome Members of
Lincoln National Federal Credit Union
The merger was approved by the Lincoln National Federal Credit Union (LNFCU) membership. LNFCU will complete its partnership merger with Summit Credit Union (Summit CU) December 1, 2019. Here is a brief summary of new enhancements and changes that may affect you. Please take time to browse our website to see the financial products and services that will be available to you as a Summit Credit Union member after December 1, 2019. See our Frequently Asked Questions below for more details.
If you have any questions about your account(s), the transfer process, or any of our services, call our Member Service Call Center at 336-662-6200. The Call Center hours are 7:30am to 5:30pm, Monday thru Thursday and 7:30am to 6pm on Friday.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will my account number change?
Yes, you will receive a new seven-digit account number in the mail prior to the merger date from Summit CU. Your membership savings account suffix will be 00. If you have a LNFCU loan, it will be assigned a new two-digit loan suffix.
What will happen to my savings account?
Your savings account will transfer to a membership savings account at Summit CU with a 0.15% APY dividend rate. Note that money market accounts are available with a $1,000 minimum balance. Current deposit rates are available on our Rates page at SummitCU.Org/rates.
Important Information about Direct Deposits
Direct Deposits from Lincoln Financial Group
If you currently receive direct deposits/payroll deductions from Lincoln Financial Group, those will automatically transfer to your Summit CU account after the merger. You do not have to do anything for them to continue uninterrupted.
You Must Redirect All Other Direct Deposits.
If you receive direct deposits from any other source – other employers, Social Security, federal recurring payments, pensions, annuities, child support, etc. -- you must contact each payer and provide them with your new Summit CU account number (specified in your welcome letter) and our Summit CU Routing Number, 253176118.
Don’t wait, because it often takes two pay periods, sometimes more, to change a direct deposit. When you contact your payer, make your direct deposit effective after December 1, 2019.
How will my loan(s) be transferred?
All loan accounts will keep their current rate, payment amount, and payment due date. Loan payments currently transferred from your LNFCU savings account will continue to be transferred automatically after the merger occurs.
What about our LNFCU capital?
Per the merger agreement, LNFCU will distribute a portion of its capital to its members on November 21, 2019 as follows:
- 5% Bonus Dividend to be Paid.
In order to share the equity of LNFCU with its members, both credit unions have agreed for a bonus dividend to be paid to LNFCU members in good standing. The bonus dividend will be distributed based on the aggregate savings balance of each member as of June 30, 2019.
- 10% Loan Interest Rebate to be Paid.
Both credit unions have agreed for a loan interest rebate to be paid to LNFCU members in good standing. The loan interest rebate will be distributed based on the interest paid on loans of each member year-to-date as of June 30, 2019.
When will I receive my 2019 1098/1099 Tax Forms?
Any applicable 2019 tax forms will be mailed from Summit CU by January 31, 2020. You will receive one consolidated tax form for interest paid or dividends earned on your accounts while held at LNFCU and Summit CU. 1098’s are provided to anyone that has paid at least $600 in interest in a year on a mortgage. 1099’s are provided to anyone that has earned at least $10 in dividends.
Will the current LNFCU branch remain open?
The LNFCU branch will not remain open after the merger. However, Summit CU does have two full-service branch offices very close to the current location and is planning to add an ATM onsite at 100 N Greene Street for additional convenience.
- 800 Summit Avenue, Greensboro, NC 27405 (1 mile from the current office)
Amenities: Drive-Up Window, ATM, Night Deposit Box, Safe Deposit Boxes, and Coin Counting Machine
- 2917 S Elm-Eugene Street, Greensboro, NC 27406 (3 miles from the current office)
Amenities: Drive-Up Window, Night Deposit Box
New Products & Services available through Summit CU
Where are ATMs that I can use without a surcharge fee?
If you elect to open a checking account with Summit CU, your new Debit Card provides access to more than 56,000 surcharge-free ATMs across the U.S. There are over 200 surcharge-free ATMs in the Piedmont Triad area. A complete list of surcharge-free ATMs is available on the Locations page at SummitCU.org/locations or thru the Mobile 24 app.
To avoid fees from ATM owners, look for:
- CashPoints® ATMs — at all State Employees Credit Union branches and many other locations throughout NC
The CashPoints® ATM network is owned by State Employees Credit Union.
- Allpoint® ATMs — in CVS, Walgreens, Costco, Target, Speedway, Harris Teeter, Circle K, Sheetz, and many other retail locations.
- ATMs at many other NC Credit Unions
You have unlimited free transactions at Summit CU-owned ATMs. At the ATMs listed above, you have access to five (5) free transactions each month. Plus, cash back at the point-of-sale is available free of charge.
You can find surcharge-free ATMs anywhere in the U.S. on the Locations page at SummitCU.org/locations or thru the Mobile 24 app.
Where are Summit CU’s branch offices?
Summit CU has three branch offices in Greensboro and one each in Winston-Salem, High Point, Hickory, Raleigh, and Oxford. Summit CU is also a member of the CO-OP Shared Branch network which enables members to use 5,600 branch offices of participating Credit Unions worldwide to make deposits and withdrawals. There are over 40 CO-OP Shared Branch offices in the Piedmont Triad area. A complete list of surcharge-free ATMs is available on the Locations page at SummitCU.org/locations or thru the Mobile 24 app.
Does Summit CU offer Checking Accounts?
Absolutely! Summit CU offers a free checking account. There are no monthly fees, no per-check fees, and no minimum balance requirement. Debit cards are also included.
Does Summit CU offer overdraft protection on Checking?
Summit CU offers overdraft protection using funds from several different sources and you may opt-in for any of the options below.
- Free Overdraft Transfers
Summit CU will cover overdrafts by transferring from your savings accounts or lines-of-credit. There is no transfer fee and no overdraft fee, but there is a limit of three free regular savings withdrawals each month. Overdraft transfers may not exceed the savings balance or the available line-of-credit balance.
- Overdraft Privilege
If you have no other funds available, Summit CU will pay overdrafts for you, up to a total of $400. There is a $29 NSF fee for each check covered, but you will not incur a merchant’s returned check fee.
Does Summit CU offer ATM cards?
The Summit CU debit card acts as your ATM card. You do need a checking account to receive a debit card.
Debit Card Benefits and Features
- Access your checking and savings accounts at an ATM. Plus, receive merchant "cash back" withdrawals.
- Shop at participating merchants and get up to 10% cash back with our Debit Deals program. You can find participating merchants in Summit CU’s Home Banking 24 or Mobile 24 app.
- EMV Chip for the latest in security and worldwide acceptance.
- Debit card controls allow you to easily turn your debit card on or off within the Mobile 24 app, control the locations where your card can be used, control the card’s transaction types, and set card spending limits.
- Unlimited purchase transactions with a daily purchase limit of $2,000 and daily ATM limit of $500. Daily limits are used to help protect you against fraudulent transactions if your card is lost or stolen.
- Available for Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, Google Pay, and Visa Checkout.
- Debit cards can be printed same day at any Summit CU branch or mailed within 1 week if requested by phone.
Home Banking and Home Bill Pay
Summit CU has an excellent Home Banking 24 platform which includes our Home Bill Pay service. Home Banking 24 is available to all members, but a checking account is required to have access to the home Bill Pay service.
How do I sign up for Summit CU’s Home Banking 24?
You may sign up for Summit CU’s Home Banking 24 after the merger. Detailed sign up instructions can be found in the welcome packet mailed on November 20, 2019 or call our Member Service Call Center at 336-662-6200.
Will my deposits at Summit CU be insured?
Absolutely! Just like at LNFCU, Summit CU is federally insured by the National Credit Union Administration, a US Government Agency. Each member account is fully insured up to $250,000 by the full faith and credit of the US Government. This is identical coverage to the FDIC offered by banks, only with a separate federal agency. Incidentally, you can increase your coverage beyond $250,000 by having different accounts and different joint account holders. Get full details at MyCreditUnion.gov and look for the share insurance link or contact us.
Does Summit CU have a mobile app for my smart phone?
Absolutely! Summit CU’s Mobile 24 app is like having a branch at your fingertips on your smart phone or tablet. The app is free and you can download it from your app store. There are other Summit Credit Unions in other states, so be sure to search and look for the "Summit Mobile 24" logo as shown here.
See the Summit CU web page about Mobile 24 (SummitCU.org/mobile-banking.htm) for more information about finding, installing, or activating the Mobile 24 app.
Mobile 24 Features:
- Deposit a check using your mobile device
- Find a branch, ATM, or CO-OP Shared Branch for any U.S. Zip Code
- Check account balances
- Debit card controls
- View cleared and pending transactions
- Make transfers between accounts
- Pay bills with Bill Payer
- Apply for a loan
- Access to your FICO® Credit Score along with key factors affecting your score
- Use People Pay to send money to almost anyone with an email address or a mobile number
How can I get my balance when I need it?
You have many options for checking your balance including, Home Banking 24, Mobile 24, Call 24 telephone banking, calling the Member Service Call Center, checking your balance at an ATM, or stopping by any branch office. Balance inquiries through Summit CU’s Member Service Call Center are not free because of all the electronic options for checking a balance. However, all members ages 55 or older are not charged a balance inquiry fee. Members under age 55 are charged $2 to obtain an account balance using the call center.
Does Summit CU have a telephone dial-in service to get balances and other information?
Summit CU offers Call 24 Telephone Banking which allows you to get savings account and loan balances, and payment information, checks that have cleared, as well as other account details.
Where can I get money from my account?
Summit CU offers many options for getting your money.
- Use Home Banking 24 or Call 24 Telephone Banking to request a check be mailed to you.
- Use Home Banking 24, Mobile 24, or Call 24 Telephone Banking to move money to your checking account, and then use your debit card or write a check.
- Use the "Account-to-Account" feature in Home Banking 24 to transfer money to or from another financial institution.
- Visit any branch and make a cash withdrawal or get a check.
- Get cash at an ATM (you’ll need a Summit CU checking account and debit card).
- Visit a CO-OP Shared Branch to make a withdrawal.
- Call and we will mail you a check.
IMPORTANT: There is a monthly limit of three free withdrawals from your regular savings account. An excess-withdrawal fee of $3 is charged beginning with the fourth withdrawal from the regular savings account in any month. The membership share is not a transactional account, please consider opening a free checking account if you need a transactional account!
Does Summit CU offer a credit card?
Absolutely! Summit CU offers both Visa® Platinum Rewards and Visa® Platinum credit cards.
Visa® Platinum Rewards features include:
- Non-variable interest rate as low as 9.95% APR*.
- No Annual Fee
- No Balance Transfer Fee
- No Minimum Finance Charge
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Earn rewards points to redeem for gift cards, travel, merchandise, and more
Visa® Platinum features include:
- Non-variable interest rate as low as 8.95% APR*.
- No Annual Fee
- No Balance Transfer Fee
- No Cash Advance Fee
- No Minimum Finance Charge
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
* APR = Annual Percentage Rate. Rate shown is lowest rate for Visa Platinum and Platinum Rewards; non-variable rate on purchases, balance transfers, and cash advance transactions. Rates and terms are subject to change. Subject to credit approval. Repayment terms of 2% of outstanding balance or $25, whichever is greater.
Does Summit CU offer an Emergency Loan?
Summit CU’s Emergency Loan is designed to help members avoid expensive payday lenders and encourage a savings plan to get out of the emergency loan cycle. The maximum loan is $400. Members must have their total paycheck direct deposited to their account at Summit CU to qualify. The loan is set to payback within 90 days and there are no fees associated with this loan.
Does Summit CU offer a Christmas Club?
Summit CU’s Christmas Club account allows you to save for the holidays through direct deposit, monthly automatic transfers, or by making deposits on your own throughout the year. Funds are available for withdrawal and/or transfer from October 1 through December 31.
Will Summit CU host any onsite enrollment events?
Yes. Summit CU will be on the 2nd-floor rotunda at the Lincoln Financial building on 100 N Greene Street, December 2nd-4th and 9th-11th. Stop by between 11:30am and 1:30pm on Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday during the first two weeks of December and meet the staff of Summit CU.
Get a free Corkcicle Canteen while supplies last when you open a checking account at this enrollment event.